Computer Laboratory Assistant
Faculty of Computing and Informatics
Dean, Faculty of Computing & Informatics
Main purpose of the job
Facilitate use of computer lab by providing assistance to students and instructors. Assist all resource lab users and provide guidance in using available resource lab materials and programs. Maintain all student computers and equipment in the labs and class rooms in good working order and virus free. File Reports on computers that are not working to the ICT Service department and follow-up until they are fixed.
Essential: Ability to work collaboratively, demonstrating good team spirit and efficiency with minimum supervision.
2. Personal Qualities
Essential: Commitment to Amoud University’s policy of equal opportunity and the ability to work harmoniously with colleagues and students of all cultures and backgrounds.
3. Main duties and responsibilities:
- Read, understand and comply with the University’s Mission, University’s policies and procedures, the Staff Handbook and work effectiveness process.
- Instruct and supervise other personnel in routine resource lab work functions.
- Assist in administering computer-based exams according to established guidelines and procedures, ensuring proper ethics and honesty are maintained.
- Assist all students using the computer lab with specific program instructions, internet access, and lab assignments.
- Ensure cleanliness and quietness of the lab by reinforcing the "no food/drink/ smoking and silence" policy.
- Ensure network security and/or maintenance by running weekly antivirus scans for all computers at the resources labs.
- Report any computer malfunctions to the Resource Lab Coordinator and the ICT Service Department and follow-up until they are fixed.
- Maintain a daily lab attendance/usage log and ensure users are signing in/out or monitored according to established guidelines.
- Monitor the use of resource lab computers by prohibiting the download of illegal programs, and not allowing access of pornography, games websites, and/or access of websites promoting crime and unprofessional behavior.
- Support and participate in University’s Commencement/Orientation Ceremonies.
- Maintain all computers and computer equipment (computers and peripherals, printers, projectors etc.) in all computer labs, classrooms, Resource Room, in good working order and up to date with the latest antivirus software and the latest operating system updates.
- Ensure the lab is always supervised to avoid possible theft or malicious use of all the equipment.
- Ensure lab is locked and no one can access it when not supervised.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned to you from time to time.
4. Typical work activities
Typical activities include:
- Planning, arranging and preparing computer laboratories sufficiently,
- Arriving at campus on time and as per scheduled time indicated on the official timetable to open computer laboratories for students and lecturers;
- Closing computer labs after use by students and staff;
- Maintaining consistent records of all equipment and devices installed in the labs;
- Assessing the conditions of all equipment in the labs after use by the students and reporting any major issues immediately;
- Maintaining and repairing all equipment or organizing their repair with ICT office;
- Conducting awareness of lab care on a one-to-one basis with users;
- Planning additional support for students in the labs, as necessary;
5. Instructional Design
At the start of each semester, and prior to start of lectures, a laboratory assistant must confer with his/her departmental head to gain an understanding of the needs of the students. Based upon this information, a lab assistant should design the computer labs highlighting all hardware and software resources that may be needed for student proper training.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all tasks, duties, skills and/or responsibilities required for this position at all times. Therefore, this job description reflects the present requirements of the post, and as duties and responsibilities change/develop, the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.